Tuesday, April 1, 2008

This is your country.



    I wanna hold your hand.
     

     I like Al Gore, too. Nobel and all...

     John Edwards has a handful of delegates. 
     His message was arguably the most resonant of the Democratic field, but idiots seemed to be more worried about his $400.00 haircuts than they were about your $400.00 per month healthcare payment, and that $400.00 per month may be as a single person (if you're lucky.)
     Unless you are "officially" employed or eligible for COBRA, that $400.00 per month is a f****** mirage.
      Ask me. I know. As a "self-employed" person, the same people who have insured me for over 20 years in a group plan, or under COBRA, refuse to cover me as my own man. My "pre-existing condition" (which I call "living") makes me a "risk" they are unwilling to take.
     Shortly, I will join the uninsured.
     We're born, we die, and in-between, we need a touch-up and a little paint. 
     This is your country.    
     We have more in common with the Chevy Vega than the Toyota Camry. 
     We break down.
     (Hope you insured it.)
     Edwards's place in the debate is well-deserved, yet under-appreciated. He was not a populist senator; he was pro-Iraq War, largely sanguine, junior, present. He didn't really sharpen his knife until he left the Senate. But he apologized for his wrong-headed Iraq vote, and he evolved. In public. 
     He grew into who he is today, which--as we all know too well--isn't allowed under any current party rules. 
    There are stories that, in exchange for an endorsement, he wants a Supreme Court appointment. Maybe another V.P. nod. Barack and/or Hillary: quid pro quo. 
     Maybe. Maybe not. I think he's qualified for either. 
     The next president will again decide on Supreme Court appointments. I don't want John McCain making those decisions. But I'd gladly welcome John Edwards on that court. When the teeter-totter tilts, shouldn't we use common sense on the other end? 
     John Edwards is a Public Man who is evolving. Right there, in full view. Pat Robertson is still scratching his head, kicking the weeds in the Garden of Eden, wondering where Ronald Reagan dropped his Grecian Formula.
     A smart man that admits he was wrong. Isn't that worth at least a supply-side dollar more than stubbornly clinging to being wrong? 
     (See: Bush, George W.; See also: Clinton, HillaryMcCain, John, and Congress, Democratically-controlled.)
     The yutzes in our midst had their shot, and deserve nothing.  So why continue to listen to them?
     I'm sick of paying for their mistakes--the mistakes a skeletal few of 'em are honest enough to admit to making.
    John Edwards has a handful of delegates, and now--suddenly--everybody else wants to hold his hand.  
     This is your country.  
allvoices

No comments: