Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Larry Ling Is Going Part-Time.

I first heard Larry King when I worked the graveyard shift during late '70s summers on Lake Champlain. King was on the now-defunct Mutual Broadcasting Network in those days and was entertaining company. Then from the early-80's until 1987, I routinely recorded King's syndicated radio bits to replay on the radio stations I worked at during that time. He's always thrown softballs, but he's also always called himself an interviewer, not a journalist, and he's never attempted to confuse the two. I like the old guy--bizarre moments notwithstanding--and I know he's had a rough go of it, ratings-wise, over the last year on CNN. Maybe it really is time for Larry King to hang up his suspenders, but he's left his mark without screaming at guests with manufactured malice and I hope his farewell will be on his own terms.

CNN's 9 p.m. host Larry Kinghas announced that he will be leaving his nightly talk show this Fall. King, who has been a staple on CNN for 25 years, will transition to a part-time role at the network, hosting occasional specials tied to breaking news and events.

King will dicuss his decision during tonight's edition of "Larry King Live."

Before I start the show tonight, I want to share some personal news with you. 25 years ago, I sat across this table from New York Governor Mario Cuomo for the first broadcast of Larry King Live.

Now, decades later, I talked to the guys here at CNN and I told them I would like to end Larry King Live, the nightly show, this fall and CNN has graciously accepted, giving me more time for my wife and I to get to the kids' little league games.

I'll still be a part of the CNN family, hosting several Larry King specials on major national and international subjects.

I'm incredibly proud that we recently made the Guinness Book of World Records for having the longest running show with the same host in the same time slot. With this chapter closing I'm looking forward to the future and what my next chapter will bring, but for now it's time to hang up my nightly suspenders.

BeltwayBlips: vote it up!
allvoices

No comments: