Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Andre Dawson To Enter Cooperstown As An Expo.


From the Montreal Gazette:
Andre Dawson will enter the Baseball Hall of Fame
this summer as a member of the Montreal Expos.

Dawson spent the first 11 years of his career with
the franchise that currently resides in Washington and is known as the
Nationals. He also played six years with the Chicago Cubs and spent time with
the Boston Red Sox and Florida Marlins.

The Hawk had expressed a desire to have a Cubs
logo on his plaque, and while a player's wishes are considered, the Hall makes
the final decision and says the logo should be "emblematic of where the player
made his greatest impact." Every team an inductee played for is listed on the
plaque.

"I respect the Hall of Fame's decision to put an
Expos logo on my cap, and I understand their responsibility to make sure the
logo represents the greatest impact in my career," Dawson said. "Cubs fans will
always be incredibly important in my heart, and I owe them so much for making my
time in Chicago memorable, as did the fans in Montreal, Boston and South
Florida, my home. But knowing that I'm on the Hall of Fame team is what's most
important, as it is the highest honor I could imagine."

Dawson was named the 1977 National League Rookie
of the Year in Montreal and led the Expos to their only postseason series win
with a five-game victory over the Phillies in the 1981 NL Division Series. He
won his lone MVP award in 1987 with the Cubs.

Dawson will join Gary Carter as the Hall of Fame's only two inductees sporting the Expos logo.

BeltwayBlips: vote it up!

allvoices

No comments: