Monday, March 16, 2009

RIP: Seattle Post-Intelligencer Print Edition


From the AP:

The Seattle Post-Intelligencer, which has chronicled the news of the city since logs slid down its steep streets to the harbor and miners caroused in its bars before heading north to Alaska's gold fields, will print its final edition Tuesday.
Hearst Corp., which owns the 146-year-old P-I, said today that it failed to find a buyer for the newspaper, which it put up for a 60-day sale in January after years of losing money. Now the P-I will shift entirely to the Web.

"Tonight will be the final run, so let's do it right," publisher Roger Oglesby told the newsroom.
Hearst's decision to abandon the print product in favor of an Internet-only version is the first for a large American newspaper, raising questions about whether the company can make money in a medium where others have come up short.
David Lonay, 80, a subscriber since 1950, said he'll miss a morning ritual that can't be replaced by a Web-only version.
"The first thing I do every day is get the P-I and read it," Lonay said. "I really feel like an old friend is dying."
Hearst's move to end the print edition leaves the P-I's larger rival, The Seattle Times, as the only mainstream daily in the city.
"It's a really sad day for Seattle," said P-I reporter Angela Galloway. "The P-I has its strengths and weaknesses but it always strove for a noble cause, which was to give voice to those without power and scrutiny of those with power."
Seattle follows Denver in becoming losing a daily newspaper this year. The Rocky Mountain News closed after its owner, E.W. Scripps Co., couldn't find a buyer. In Arizona, Gannett Co.'s Tucson Citizen is set to close Saturday, leaving one newspaper in that city.
And last month Hearst said it would close or sell the San Francisco Chronicle if the newspaper couldn't slash expenses in coming weeks.

I am one of millions of former hard-copy newspaper readers--former paying customers, of course--who now reads newspapers online. I read at minimum the front pages and opinion sections of at least a half-dozen U.S. newspapers each day, sometimes more. I cancelled my own subscription to the local newspaper--the kind delivered by a hard-working early-riser and arriving on the doorstep with a thud!--a couple of years ago. I still miss a real newspaper, I feel guilty that I no longer support this great institution with my monthly subscription money, and--while legal--I still feel like I'm stealing something. The flip-side is the instantaneous online availability of newspapers from around the world, of which I take daily advantage.

Still, I miss unfolding that paper each morning over a cup of coffee to learn about what's changed since yesterday's news. A mouseclick will never be quite as satisfying as turning the pages with my ink-stained hands.  
allvoices

No comments: