Friday, February 27, 2009

Why I Twied Twitter.


     I don't text. Why would I tweet on Twitter?
     But I signed up anyway.
     Go figure.
     But first, the texting.
     A couple of years ago I worked with texters. I have the most basic of cellphones; no camera, no music and a screen so small that I have to squint really hard just to screen my calls. And forget trying to see what time it is.
     At first, I couldn't figure out why my phone would buzz and vibrate and nobody would ever talk when I answered it. When I started being asked why I never returned texts, I slowly started piecing things together. 
     I'm analytical that way.
     I managed to fire off a few texts for a while. At first, I spelled out numbers because I didn't know how to send them the right way. Everybody thought that was funny, but it took me a long time to text a phone number, especially having to include the area code first.
     Alas, I didn't stick with it.
     Fast-forward a few months, and I'm living at the Pacific Plaza Hotel in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, in the Russian Far East. I was there on a project, and a driver was assigned to cart me around. Kiril was a great kid, except for the texting. 
     There is little more aggravating than a company cellphone humming on the nightstand at 3AM, with a message from a drunk Russian kid, apologizing for running out of gas a couple of days earlier.
     Kiril and I communicated pretty well verbally, but text messages sent in broken English slang are murder.
     But back to Twitter.
     I love writing and playing around with this blog. Most who write or paint or play the cello do what they do and usually want other people to like it, too. I knew that Twitter was being billed as a "micro-blog," and I thought I'd give it a try to see if it would drive traffic to JackRabbit Café.  I searched around through the dizzying array of widgets and badges until I found one that actually worked. Of course, it had that washed-out aqua Twitter logo with the high-schoolish font, which reminds me of the lettering on late '70s/early '80s-era softball uniforms.  
     My intention was not to blast off inane "tweets"; believe me, the Tweet-O-Sphere is awash in those already. I simply wanted more visitors here.
     After a few days of a flooded e-mail inbox--fellow Tweeters (Twitterers?) "following" me and wanting reciprocity (and no appreciable increase in Twitter-driven traffic), I'm done.
     I've concluded that Twitter is a wasteland of lonely, gadget-addicted people who spend many hours each day speaking to strangers in short bursts of abbreviated nonsense. I wasn't trying to sell anybody anything; I was only looking for eyes. But there are tons of sales schemes on Twitter, from self-defined self-help gurus to get-rich-quick Ralph Kramdens to come-to-Jesus, tax-revolt right-wingers. 
     It's all just time-gobbling texting. I just want to write. 
     Goodbye to all that. They can take their widget back and my followers are now free to find another Manson. 
     But I'm keeping the Facebook page. 
allvoices

No comments: