Tuesday, September 9, 2008

"The Medium Is The Message."

     I spend too much time online reading everything I can, from countless reputable newspapers and magazines to fringe and unhinged blogs.
     (JackRabbit Café may be fringe--of the portside variety, I suppose--but I'd like to think it's hinged, except if my inner Bukowski has dipped into the Baltika 7.)  
     I take a peculiar, perverse pleasure in reading the paranoid delusions left in the "comments" sections of all of 'em.
     The number of people who will denounce an attributed, on--or off--the-record, well-researched piece while embracing unsubstantiated rumors or right-wing talking points is astounding.
     The similarity in the terminology I see from disparate posters on a daily basis is all I need to recognize the power of the conservative media echo chamber of talk radio, talk TV (i.e. FOX News), blogs, columnists, and bulk-sale books.
     "Liberal media"?
     What "liberal media"?          
     Somewhere, Marshall McCluhan is thinking, "I told you so."
allvoices

No comments: